For the cakes:
120g plain flour
140g caster sugar
1 and a half tsps baking powder
pinch of salt
40g unsalted butter, at room temperature
120ml coconut milk
half a tsp vanilla extract
9 tinned pineapple rings, chopped into small pieces
desiccated coconut, to decorate
For the frosting:
250g icing sugar, sifted
80g unsalted butter, at room temperature
25ml coconut milk
a 12-hole cupcake tray, lined with paper cases
1. Preheat the oven to 170 degs C/Gas 3.
2. Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) and beat on a slow speed until you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined.
3. Mix together the coconut milk and vanilla extract in a separate bowl, then beat into the flour mixture on a medium speed until well combined. Add the egg and beat well, scraping any unmixed ingredients from the side of the bowl with a spatula.
4. Divide the chopped pineapple between the paper cases.
6. Once the cupcakes are cold, spoon the coconut frosting on top and finish with a sprinkling of desiccated coconut. Enjoy!
This recipe comes from The Hummingbird Bakery cookbook