This is such a quick and easy cake to make, and is utterly delicious!
FOR THE CAKE
175g unsalted butter
175g self raising flour
pinch of salt
175g golden caster sugar
finely grated zest and juice of 1 large lemon
FOR THE TOPPING
juice of 1 large lemon
100g white granulated sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180 deg C/fan 170 deg C/gas mark 4.
2. Grease and line an 18cm diameter, 7.5cm deep, round springform tin.
3. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl and set aside. Melt the butter in a small pan and set aside to cool slightly. Using an electric whisk, or mixer, beat the eggs and sugar together until very light and fluffy. Blend in the melted butter, then gently fold in the flour, salt and zest. Finally, slowly fold in the juice.
4. Pour the batter into the tin and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
5. Meanwhile, make the crunchy topping by simply mixing the juice and sugar together in a small bowl. As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, prick tiny holes all over the top with a cocktail stick. Pour the lemon syrup evenly over the surface. Leave to cool completely in the tin.
This cake comes from "Bake and Decorate" by Fiona Cairns.