Friday 11 May 2012

Jamie's Jammie Dodgers

I hardly ever make biscuits but was inspired to have a go after seeing some incredible looking recipes in the latest Jamie magazine. Britain seems to be a nation of biscuit lovers and there are hundreds of different varieties on the supermarket shelves. We all have our favourites but nothing compares to those that are homemade and the pleasure of stocking up a tin full of buttery, crumbly biscuits that you have made yourself is pretty hard to beat. For my first attempt I decided to go for jammie dodgers...they have always been one of my favourites. You know those big tins of biscuits that you get, especially at Christmas, that, when you take the lid off, are laden with all sorts of amazing delights? I always used to pick out the jammie dodgers first. There was something about the thickness and the sticky jamminess that set them apart from the rest. Another reason for making them is that they are traditionally made in Cwmbran, Wales, which is where my Grandmother comes from, so the dodger has an extra special place in my heart.

The recipe for these biscuits can be found here

I used a lower oven temperature when baking these biscuits (170 degs C/fan oven) and only baked them for 7-10 minutes. You need to keep a careful eye on them as they can be quick to over cook and a couple of minutes can make all the difference between a pale dodger and an overcooked dodger! You can also make them as large or as small as you want...I went for a slightly larger biscuit than stated in the recipe. Whatever you decide, enjoy!



1 comment:

  1. Ooh these look great! They are one of my favourite biscuits and it's been on my to bake list for a while! I'll have to get a copy of Jamie's magazine.

    ReplyDelete